Wokingham Choral Society
Wokingham Choral Society is looking to recruit a new Musical Director to succeed and build on the achievements of James Morley Potter. Formed in 1951 with a handful of enthusiastic singers, WCS has grown to an ambitious choir of 100 auditioned voices. Previous MDs include Edward Gardner OBE (President); Stephen Layton MBE and Aidan Oliver (Vice Presidents). We perform two large concerts a year plus a lighter Christmas and Summer repertoire. Rehearsals are held weekly on term-time Thursday evenings at Emmbrook Senior School (near Wokingham and Twyford stations).
Interviews: Tuesday 6 September 2022. Auditions for selected applications will be held on the evening of Thursday 29 September 2022.
Person Specification – Musical Director
Ambitious, energetic and enthusiasticRelishes performance
A good sense of humour with a positive and motivational approach to rehearsals.
Good connections with orchestras and soloists of a suitable standard
Both leadership and team playing skills
Efficient and creative programme planner suitable to retain singers and attract new audiences
Interested in developing the choir’s vocal skills
Conducting experience with groups of a comparable standard and size
Involvement with music students as a source of up-and-coming soloists
Rehearsal venue and times
WCS rehearses at Emmbrook Senior School, Emmbrook Road, Wokingham, RG41 1JP on Thursday evenings during school term times. Concerts are usually on Saturdays, with an afternoon rehearsal. A typical year would have 37 to 38 rehearsals excluding those on concert days.
The new MD is expected to take up post on 5 January 2023.
How to apply
Email a full CV, including the names of two referees (who would not be contacted without prior permission) to firstname.lastname@example.org plus a covering letter outlining why you and WCS would be good for each other.
Deadline for emailed applications: Sunday 7 August 2022
Interview date: Tuesday 6 September 2022
Auditions for final shortlisted candidates: evening of Thursday 29 September 2022
Candidates informed by Monday 3 October 2022
Job Description – Musical Director
The MD is responsible for the overall musical standard of the choir, and preparing the choir for concerts
With regard to concerts, responsibilities include:
- Researching suitable repertoire and planning the choir’s musical programme in conjunction with the Committee
- Engaging soloists and players, within the agreed budget
- Rehearsing the choir to the required standard and conducting performances
- Providing one pre-concert talk per season
With regard to overall musical development of the choir:
- Using any warm-up time to work on vocal technique, sight singing or other skills;
- Auditioning prospective new members
- Conducting a voice balancing exercise not more than every 3 years
With regard to administration:
- Attending committee meetings at least once a year, and liaising with the chairman, secretary or other committee members between meetings as required.
- Providing information for concert programmes and also an annual report for the choir’s AGM
- Participating in an annual appraisal meeting with the Chairman
A full job description is provided in a separate document.
Fees and expenses
Fees and travelling expenses are reviewed annually by the committee and the Musical Director given at least one month’s notice of any changes to take effect on 1 September each year.
- The fee for each weekday rehearsal £133.50
- The fee for the two larger concerts (usually November and March) £770.00
- The fee for the two lighter concerts (usually December and June ) £580.00
- The fee for a pre-concert talk is £110.00
- Any additional events such as workshops and tours are negotiated separately
- Travel Expenses
31 miles or over from Wokingham £22.50
21-30 miles from Wokingham £19.25
11-20 miles from Wokingham £15.50
- 10 miles from Wokingham £11.75